Full course description
This course was created to be completed in approximately 5-6 total hours.
This course will introduce participants to the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). In particular, the course will focus on what companies are subject to the law, the new rights provided to data subjects, the policies and procedures that companies must put into place to comply with the law and the new regulatory environment companies will need to live under.
- Recognize the purpose and goals of the GDPR
- Explain what activities bring companies under the jurisdiction of the law.
- Analyze whether a company’s current policies, procedures and data usage are compliant.
- Apply various data privacy and cybersecurity principles under the law to develop compliant programs, policies and procedures.
- Readings: Each module has required readings. Several readings and videos are included (as optional) in the Additional Resources section if students are interested in learning more.
- Lectures: Each modules has presentations from the course instructor, guest lecturers or other videos introducing various aspects of the GDPR.
- Self-Check Activities: There are short self-check quizzes after each module.